Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Waking Lazarus" by T.L. Hines

I am really astounded.....   My first experience with T. L. Hines was "The Unseen," and I pretty much had to sludge through it, forcing myself to turn page after page. My second experience was "Faces in the Fire," which fell outside my tastes, so I stopped reading after about 50 pages. This book was a complete shocker! The characters were believable (some frighteningly so), the pacing was masterful, the storyline was just sensational enough to be enthralling and not ridiculous, and the ending was emotional.  OK, I didn't actually cry, but it was definitely heart-warming. And this is Hines' first novel???????  Sorry if I sound incredulous. Maybe I should re-try "Faces in the Fire" and see if I'm missing something.... Hines writes in "Waking Lazarus"  with the elegance of a master craftsman. He uses words and phrases like a magician uses handkerchiefs and cards. (Not to mention, one of my old slang phrases, "No big whoop," made an appearance!)
There are some minor criticisms. The author used one choice word that I felt was unnecessary, especially for a book marketed to a Christian audience. We expect swearing in non-Christian reading, but in a Christian book? It could have been easily removed, but he chose to put it in for some reason. The second criticism relates to the lack of Biblical redemption. There is definitely redemption of relationship and purpose of the main character, but no redemption of the soul-saving kind. On the positive note, there WAS plenty of talk about God, although mostly in a bitter way from the main character's point of view.

Some of you will be skeptical, but I knew fairly early on who the bad guy would be, and I also figured out Kristina almost immediately. But it was still a breath-taking read! I would definitely give the book a 5 out of 5 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment