Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"Faces in the Fire" by T. L. Hines

So, I'm taking back some of the bad things I thought about T. L. Hines after reading "The Unseen." If you are going to read his books, don't read "The Unseen" first, because it will bore you compared to this one and "Waking Lazarus."
This book is a masterpiece - a MASTERPIECE - of creative writing. The book is structured around the lives of four people who have (seemingly) no connection to each other. But at some point, their paths cross each other. Each person has an experience with a traumatic fire, and a catfish, and a long number. (I know it sounds weird....and in reality, the book IS pretty weird). The way the author weaves these four tales together is a work of genius, plain and simple.
Back to what I just said: the book is weird. The whole reason I quite reading it the first time I tried is because the first part of the story involves a guy who can hear ghosts talking through dead people's clothes. When I picked the book back up and pressed on, I found a lot more weirdness. The book is not a work of Christian fiction, in my opinion, so I haven't labeled it as such. But there is a LOT of the supernatural in it. Just not the Christian kind. In fact, if you can't handle books that deal frankly with murder, drug abuse, and other such harsh realities, don't read it.
Still, the book was fantastic. It was not tremendously thrilling - in fact it had a fairly leisurely pace. But the characters were so HUMAN. I felt as if they were real people (with made-up experiences, of course). A nice touch in the structure of the book was the fact that each chapter started with a number, but the numbers weren't progressive. They followed the chronology of the story. So when a character is in the present in chapter 25 and then she starts thinking about her past, the "flash-back" chapter will be chapter 18, not chapter 26.
The ending was very somber to me. It was a great ending, and it really brought the whole work together splendidly. But the subject matter just put me in a reflective mode.
If it weren't for the "weirdness," this book would definitely surpass "Waking Lazarus" as my favorite by this author. Still, the book is marvelous, and deserves a solid 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment