Monday, April 18, 2011

"Homeland Insecurity" by Richard & Evangeline Abanes

Shaken. I was shaken after reading this book. I enjoy fiction novels involving terrorism, because I like to see the good guys winning. It helps me deal with my emotions regarding 9/11. But this book didn't HELP me with any emotions.... It created some new ones.
I had never really heard much about (or thought much about) white supremist groups in America. I knew they existed. I knew about the KKK, but I had no idea who they are and what they believe. The terrorists in this book are MUCH more frightening to me than the Islamists in Joel Rosenberg's books, mainly because I don't know any Muslims personally. I have no knowledge to compare them to. But as I met the characters in this book, I realized that I MIGHT know some people like this... People I grew up around, people I went to church with, people I went to school with. My neighbors. My friends. Is it possible? I suppose it is possible, and it scares me to death. I pray to God that none of my relatives, friends, or acquaintances have any beliefs that mirror the terrorists in this book - although racism is at least faintly present in some of the people I know. And to me, racism is one step toward the horrors of these terrorists. GOD CREATED ALL MEN OF ONE BLOOD, the Bible says! (Acts 17:24-27)  We are all humans, and we are all sinners, and we all need to be saved. We don't all need to be white. God offers salvation to WHOSOEVER will believe on Christ. This is the plain teaching of Scripture. Racism is an affront to the redemptive nature of God.
Now, for some plain facts. This book was not the greatest or best-written novel I have ever read. However, it was a good story, and very captivating. The ending was (in my opinion) a little obvious. But I still enjoyed it. ***NOTE: There are quotes by white supremists and terrorists in this book that contain racial and disturbing language. Please be advised before reading.
I am glad Richard and Evangeline Abanes had the guts to write this book. It was something that I needed to hear. So, from a pure thrilling-story fiction-loving side, this book is five out of five stars. But be warned: you cannot un-read what you have read. It may change the way you think.....

No comments:

Post a Comment