Saturday, April 23, 2011

"Farraday Road" by Ace Collins

A man with the name "Ace" should surely be able to write a decent thriller novel, right? Right! "Farraday Road" is the story of an attorney named Elijah Evans (shortened to "Lije" almost every time in the book....which actually drove me crazy after a while) whose wife was murdered on a rainy night. After the murder, it appears that the real target was Elijah, since several more attempts on his life are made. But who is after him, and why?
One of the best things about this book is the ending. It is truly a continuing story! Most books of series that I've read are written in a way that any book in the series can be read alone and still enjoyed. THIS book, however, ends with a true cliffhanger! Right in the middle of an intense scene, the book just ends with "To be continued...."  I love it! If the book had resolved in some way, I may not have been interested in picking up book #2, but now I have to find out what happens.
It is a very original story with some interesting twists, but there are a few negative issues. The characters are a bit wooden to me.... Their dialogue and actions are just a little stiff. I mean, some of the lines spoken in the book are phrased in ways that no one that I've ever met would actually phrase them. They work on paper, but you can't imagine anyone actually SAYING those lines.
There is one or two unnecessary expletives thrown in, which boggles my mind. My only question is, "why?" If you cuss in a book, and do it consistently, then I have the feeling that you talk that way and have no problem with it. If you don't cuss at all, I appreciate it and feel like you have a conviction about it (as I do - because I don't swear). But to use like 2 cuss words? It's almost like your publisher said, "Hey, man, throw some hard language in there to make it realistic!"... and you fight your hesitation and sprinkle a few in there to please someone. *Sigh*
The biggest problem with the book (in my mind) is a GLARING error. It's hard to explain without spoiling something, so let me just try it this way:
1. Characters A and B think character C might be a bad guy, so they hide their work from C.
2. Characters A and B get in a car wreck (a little more complicated than just a wreck, but I'm trying not to spoil anything)
3. Character C also gets in a car wreck. (all three survive)
4. Characters A and B go to see character C after C's wreck.
5. Characters A and B wonder how character C knew about THEIR wreck.........
But THE BOOK NEVER TELLS US THAT CHARACTER C DID KNOW ABOUT IT!!!!!
Nothing is said that implies character C knew about their accident. Suddenly, character A just wonders, "How did _________  know about our accident?"  This is unforgivable to me..... It bothered me SO MUCH! I don't know if it was just a mistake in the edition that I own.... Anyway, I got over it. But it still bothers me.

All in all, it is a mediocre book with mediocre characters, but the innumerable twists in the story make it interesting. I'd give it a three out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment