Friday, April 1, 2011

"Elisha's Bones" by Don Hoesel

I really must say that this book by Don Hoesel was IMMENSELY more enjoyable than "Hunter's Moon," which surprises me because this book was written first.
In this story, we have a professor of archaeology who is hired by a billionaire to find the bones of the prophet Elisha. These bones, in Scripture, apparently brought a dead man back to life. (It really is in the Bible, so it is definitely a true story...and one that I had never really payed much attention to: see 2 Kings 13:21)
Unfortunately for our professor, there are others who have an interest in the bones....and they are willing to kill for them.
The story is very engaging, so that's all I'm going to give away.
Pros: The characters are realistic and comfortable, the exotic locations are described impeccably, the pace is well-balanced, the humor is good but not excessive, the ending is unexpected, and the story is extremely original.
Cons: Just me being picky... The author had this habit of starting sentences like this: "Too, blah blah blah." Now, I'm no scholar of English and Grammar, but it was just annoying. I don't talk like that, and I've never read any other book that utilized this sentence structure. I can see someone beginning a sentence with "also", but "too"?
The Christian elements in the story were not abundant, really. The main character is a skeptic, and the supporting female character is a supposed Christian who really doesn't seem to be one. There is a slight attempt at converting the main character at the end, when he finally cries out to God; but it was not definitive enough for me.
Some elements may be a little far-fetched, but it IS a work of fiction.
In all I'd give the book 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment