Thursday, May 31, 2012

"Jerusalem Countdown" by John Hagee (Kindle Edition)

Even though this book was written in 2006, the information included is excellent. John Hagee is a very intelligent man, and he writes with great skill as well. (In fact, if you ever come across either of his two Apocalypse Diaries novels - "Devil's Island" or "Avenger of Blood" - make sure you buy them! They are rare to find, and excellent to read!)
The book was not exactly what I thought it would be. I was thinking of Daniel's 70 weeks, where is America in prophecy, etc. Instead, Hagee explains his theological understanding of God's relationship to the Jewish people, from Abraham until Christ returns. I have not read any other book that so clearly tackles this subject. There were just a couple of points that I disagreed with or was unsure of, but the majority of the book was eye-opening to me.
I'll admit it: Jewish people have always been a bit of a mystery in my mind.... I knew that they were chosen by God, I knew that Jesus was a Jew, I knew that God will place the focus back on the Jews in the last days - what I didn't know was how this all fit together in the big picture of God's Word, nor did I understand what my relationship (as a Gentile Christian) to the Jews was. John Hagee explains all this and more in great detail.
One of the most helpful ideas in the book is that divine election applies only to the Jews. The concept of election (the Calvinist doctrine) has been the thorn in the side for many theologians. But, the explanation given by Hagee makes more sense in light of all that the Bible teaches than any other theory I've heard.
Hagee also goes paragraph-by-paragraph through Romans 9-11, which was excellent. These chapters are often ignored, so it was great to hear them explained clearly. (In fact, I had a whole class on the book of Romans in Bible college, but I'm pretty sure that we skimmed over chapters 9-11).
My special thanks goes to my dad for letting me borrow this e-book. I am probably going to buy a print copy of this book to read again, as well as to lend out to others.
If you only read one book of theology/prophecy this year, I recommend this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment