Monday, June 4, 2012

"The Voice" New Testament

Let me say up front: I am an open-minded KJV reader. I was raised with the King James, and in my research I have not discovered any reason that I should replace my KJV with another version. That being said, I am also aware of the fact that many Godly people use other versions of the Bible - and God is obviously using other translations to reach many people with the Gospel of Christ. I do not collect and burn other Bible versions, nor do I demonize those versions or the people who read them, either from the pulpit or my blog. Those who do so are not dealing realistically with the issue of Bible translation.
The publishers provided me a free copy of "The Voice" to review. Let me begin with my criticisms, and end with the positive elements. My main criticism is the translation process. The translating group decided to go with a "contextual equivalence" instead of formal equivalence or even dynamic equivalence. In an attempt to make their translation accessible to the modern culture, they seem to resort mostly to paraphrase instead of actual translation (from my limited knowledge of Greek). The problem is this: God gave us ideas and concepts, but He had to use words in order to do it - and it seems obvious that He chose His Words with great care. So, formal equivalence seems to be superior to either dynamic or contextual equivalence.
My second criticism.... To be blunt, I fail to see the need for another Bible translation or version. Statistics tell us that Christians aren't reading the ones we already have, and I doubt that it is because they don't have access to a good version. My third criticism is minor. "Story" seems to be a bit of a buzzword these days among Christian authors, and "The Voice" buys into it totally. Even the cover says, "Step into the Story of Scripture" (italics in original, not added by me). I'm not a big fan of fads and buzzwords.
So, now to the positive things. First, I actually liked the quality of the copy I received. It seemed durable, with thick paper and sturdy binding. It would probably last a long time. Second, I thought the dialogue between the characters was presented in a unique way. It was done much like a screenplay or script, with the name of the person talking written in bold, followed by his dialogue.

For those of you who like to read the thoughts and events in Scripture written in unique ways to give your mind a better picture to grasp, you will probably find "The Voice" an interesting addition to your Bible collection. For those of you who are waiting for a good reason to read something besides your KJV, you will need to wait a little longer.
Special thanks to Thomas Nelson publishers for the free review copy of "The Voice" New Testament.

No comments:

Post a Comment