Thursday, May 3, 2012

"Dreamhouse Kings Book 5: Whirlwind" by Robert Liparulo

Well... This book presented two interesting developments in my reading of the series. It was the first book in which I really started getting tired of the two boys disobeying their father, going through a portal, and almost dying but finally escaping. This is also the first book since about book 2 that I felt like we learned some helpful information about the house, the portals, and how the time traveling works. Don't get me wrong - I still really enjoyed the book. I finished this one and "Frenzy" both within about 4 days. But at the end of this one, I was beginning to feel like the series really could have been a trilogy... The redeeming quality was the fact that the trips through time are just so interesting! You can tell that the author did good research into the time periods and cultures the King family visits.
And the time travel is really what keeps me glued to this series. The boys' characters are decent. The dad is not developed as a character as much as the boys are. Mom hasn't hardly been in the series to develop her character, and Toria doesn't really do much either. So I don't feel guilty at all in stating that I read this series to see how and where Robert Liparulo sends the family through time!

Don't forget, you can read excerpts from each book at www.dreamhousekings.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment