Saturday, May 21, 2011

"Swope's Ridge" by Ace Collins

The second book in the "Lije Evans Mysteries" series picks up easily where the last book left off. However, Ace Collins masterfully introduced a secondary plotline in such a way that you could read this book as a stand-alone novel. The talent required to pull this off is extraordinary!
Only a few minor items were negative to me. The first of which is the sheer complexity of the plot. I like twists and stories that bring it all together at the end, but I couldn't keep up with all the facts. (The characters in the novel could, though... and it kinda bothered me that they could but I couldn't....)
The next negative issue revolved around the fact that the protagonists too easily stumbled across necessary information at exactly the right time. Everything was WAY too neat and tidy. It was like one guy would say, "Hey, we need to find out if so-and-so ever had a condo in Miami." Then guy #2 would be like, "Let me check. (whips out cell phone for a brief conversation) Yep, between March and June of 1998."  Not all info was gathered so easily, however.
On a positive note, this book was a little more overtly Christian in content than the last one. And there was one pretty good twist at the end, even though you could see it coming for a little while. Many scenarios in the book were just too far-fetched, though. I'm fairly forgiving, but don't abuse my leniency.
I'd give this book an enjoyable 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment