Saturday, May 21, 2011

"Strike the Dragon" by Charles Dyer and Mark Tobey

I hate to say this, but usually books are put on the "bargain buy" shelf for a reason. If you pay a buck for a brand new book in a bookstore, then don't expect it to be the best book you've ever read. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised though. This book falls somewhere in between. It was a decent (if unoriginal) concept, but the execution was lacking a little bit.... Let me start with the negatives so we can end on a good note.
There were typos scattered throughout, but I can forgive that. Really, my two biggest issues were these:
1) The authors frequently felt the need to describe in very minute detail things that had absolutely no bearing on the plot of the book. It got a little annoying as the book went on. Explanatory comments were inserted at times when they were not necessary at all.
2) Everyone talked like Christians. The cops, the CIA, the Mossad agents, the Muslim terrorists - all of them phrased things in ways that you only hear at church. Now, if you've read any of my other reviews, you know I appreciate CLEAN dialogue. I have little tolerance for Christian authors using curse words. But I mean, there were hardly any contractions used in the dialogue, no slang, no normal street language. (It's hard to explain, but just read about 25 pages from the middle of the book and you'll see what I'm talking about). And the CIA, Mossad, and Chicago Police apparently love to refer to terrorists as "bad guys" over their communication lines with each other. This made the dialogue unrealistic. In fact, more than once I almost gave up on reading the book at all.
Now for the good points. It was truly a Christian novel. In fact one character trusts Christ at the end of the book! The authors used a few opportunities to work in some apologetics, and I appreciated that (even though some would see that as a negative). The book also had some good action near the beginning and some more near the end (however, I feel the authors missed out on some GREAT opportunities for nail-biting suspense). In all, the story was weaved together fairly well.
I would give the book a 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment