Monday, December 13, 2010

"The Pawn" by Steven James

**WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!
This book is the debut novel by Steven James, and the first work in the "Bowers' Files" series. We are introduced to the character of Patrick Bowers, a Special Agent with a knack for nabbing the bad guys. However, in this story, Bowers is pitted against a serial killer who seems to be able to stay one step ahead of the investigators.
Let me address some of the serious issues to begin with. If you were to read the reviews at http://www.christianbook.com/ for this book, you would notice that several people give it a one-star rating, saying that it is violent, graphic, and should not be read by Christians (or anyone, especially right before bedtime). Others said that there were no mentions of God or any redeeming aspect to the story at all. I disagree with that last observation. While the author did not attempt to give a clear presentation of the Gospel (like maybe Frank Peretti or Joel Rosenberg have done in their books), the protagonist does wrestle with his own faith. Well, he wrestles with his late wife's faith - and attempts to understand how she can be so devoted to a God who is seemingly destroying her body with disease. He also attempts to reconnect with his estranged step-daughter, which I find a very redeeming aspect of the story.
The other negative observations are mostly accurate. There is a good deal of violence, and graphic death scenes abound. (It is the story of a serial killer, after all). However, I do not think the author crossed the line of grotesque-ness. I, for one, was able to tolerate and even enjoy this book above some books by other authors (Ted Dekker and Robert Liparulo, for example, have disturbed me to the point of getting rid of some of their books***** SEE READER COMMENTS BELOW POST). On another note, reality is much harsher than fiction, and one only has to turn on the evening news to hear horrible stories just as graphic and see video footage just as disturbing. The Bible, also, gives some pretty gory details at times, but the Bible doesn't disturb me. It is only a matter of perspective and knowing your own tastes.
On the positive side, this book is a real nail-biter! The talent of the writer is obvious, and I am looking forward to reading more of his works and seeing his abilities develop. (To be perfectly honest...I read portions of this book at night while in bed, and...um...well........ let's just say that a few times I was tempted to leave the lamp on. "Thriller" is a very appropriate term to describe it). I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John! Great review of a great book. I love Steven's stories and believe they can be enjoyed by both Christians and non-Christians alike.

    I'm sorry that my own stories disturbed you so much. I've tried not to be gratuitous, including only the level of violence necessary to portray the evil my protagonists are fighting. I realize that everyone has a different line in the sand on things like that. I've actually toned down the violence in my later books, compared to Comes a Horseman and Germ, and I think that's the direction my stories are going--not because the first two were overly graphic, but because my later stories just don't warrant that level of violence (but they still have some).

    Really, I just wanted to give you a thumb's up for recognizing Steven's talent. I completely agree.

    Blessings,
    Robert Liparulo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart just about leaped out of my chest when I saw that I had a comment from Robert Liparulo! He is an extremely talented writer, and it is a great honor to hear from him. My intention was never to express a disdain for his works... I greatly enjoyed "Deadfall", and I look forward to reading "Deadlock" and the "Dreamhouse Kings" series. Mr. Liparulo's new website will be launching soon at www.robertliparulo.com, or you can visit www.dreamhousekings.com. He also offers advice to aspiring writers at www.getitonthepage.com.

    ReplyDelete