Monday, December 13, 2010

"Darien's Rise" by Paul McCusker

***WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!
"Darien's Rise" is the first book in the Adventures in Odyssey "Passages" series. I am so glad to see that Adventures in Odyssey is still providing great entertainment for young people! I have listened to DOZENS of the radio episodes in my lifetime. They have a very good reputation for emphasizing Biblical life-lessons in ways that are easily understood by young people. So, knowing that Paul McCusker had written some great material for the radio shows, I had high hopes for this book (even though it is for ages 10 and up, and I'm 26 years old). He did not disappoint me!
I borrowed this book from a kid in our church. He recommended it to me, knowing that I like to read. So, I dove into it, in between "big books." I must say, it holds up very well, even among other Christian Fiction titles I've read that are geared to adults. Paul McCusker is a very creative and talented man.
The story is basically about a pair of siblings who are miraculously transported from an old abandoned house to a different time and place. As the story unfolds, the reader will recognize that it is a re-telling of the Biblical story of David and King Saul. The parallels are very clever; and even though I knew how the story should end, I was still riveted to the book all the way through. Sure, the story is told in a way that appeals to young readers - and it is told from a young person's perspective. But that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it!
One word of caution for parents: there is a minor amount of violence, but you should be aware of it. Near the end of the book, the character who represents "King Saul" in the story shoots himself in the head. (Remember, in the Bible Saul fell on his own sword so that he would not fall into the hands of the enemy.)
I highly recommend this book, especially for 10-14 year-olds. (And I'll be reading book #2 shortly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment