Thursday, December 30, 2010

"On This Day In Christian History" by Robert J. Morgan

I had very high hopes for this book.... I love inspiring stories of great Christians from all periods of history and find them to be fantastic encouragers in my own walk with God. Morgan's book didn't quite meet my expecations.
For the detailed information: this book contains 366 (thanks to leap year) one-page articles, each dated, that tells of a significant story that happened on that day. There is also a topical index at the back, which can be helpful. Many of the names and stories were brand new to me, so it was good to be exposed to them. Each day also had a Bible passage at the bottom. That's about all the positive things I can say about it; now for the negative....
This book seemed to focus mainly on Catholic monks and popes. Many of the stories feature martyrs, which is not a bad thing. However, most of the martyrs were killed by a different "brand" of Christianity (for example, Catholics persecute the Protestants, or vice-versa). I found it very disturbing how much violence was carried out under the encouragement of Catholic and Protestant churches and leaders. Not being Catholic or Protestant myself, I was disappointed that very few evangelical (and I'm very liberally including independent and Southern Baptists in the "evangelical" category) show up in the pages. I was also shocked that there were only a handful of references to sources of any kind.... If this is a book of historical information, you would think that there would be footnoted sources, or at LEAST a bibliography. Nope.
The biggest disappointment for me had to be the Bible passages. Morgan uses the Contemporary English Version of the Bible for his passages, and my personal opinion is that this is a horrible translation of Scripture. It has gone beyond interpretational translation (dynamic equivalence, where the MEANING of the phrase is given in a comparative way, as opposed to formal equivalence which strives to translate the WORDS literally as much as possible). In fact, it seems like some phrases are just too colloquial... But I could have lived with the abundance of Catholic stories, and I could have even lived with the CEV Bible passages.... however, some of the passages just seemed very randomly chosen.
All in all, I would still give this book 3 out of 5 stars. We can always learn so much from history, and the stories really can encourage us to be better Christians.
I received this book from the publisher as part of the Booksneeze Blogger Review program. I was not required to give a positive review, and the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment