Sunday, February 19, 2012

"Revival Praying" by Leonard Ravenhill

The voice of Leonard Ravenhill is greatly missed in two ways. One, he has gone home to be with the Lord. Two, many Christians and churches have never been exposed to his piercing books and stirring sermons. He is a much-needed teacher for us today. In reading this book (much like "Why Revival Tarries"), every page seemed to be a condemning description of my heart and habits. It is impossible to read Ravenhill and not be convicted. The Holy Spirit used the man so powerfully.

As the title suggests, this book is about prayer. And what pitiful excuses for prayer we are usually engaging in, when we should be laboring constantly and enduringly before the Throne of God. While the book brings much conviction, it is also not without encouragement. True revival-bringing prayer is within the ability of each of us, if only we should be willing to pay the price (and there is a price). The greatest reward will not come from reading this book - but from heeding it. And I believe that reward would be nothing less than revival.

I love the stories that Ravenhill includes concerning men who were mighty prayer warriors. Many of them I did not recognize, but I will be sure to learn more of them. Other names I knew, but my respect for these men only grew by hearing of their dedication to the work of prayer.

If you are like me, praying has been (for most of my life) a necessary thing along the lines of brushing one's teeth every day. It is necessary - but I am not desperate to do it. Prayer needs to be more like breathing: we dare not cease breathing, or else we will die. Can we be any less serious about the business of prayer?

Please read this book. And let the Christians hold each other accountable for our praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment