Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"The Bishop" by Steven James

Just getting around to writing my review of this book - even though I finished it before Christmas! Whew...time flies.
I will say up front that this book was (in my opinion) the most violent and graphic. There are two killers in this book who work in tandem, and they stage elaborate murders which intentionally look as if someone else has committed them. We've met one of the killers before in the series... but, of course, I can't tell you who it is.

In this story, author Steven James re-uses a few plot devices - which ordinarily doesn't bother me. But for some reason it did in "The Bishop." I guess I feel like a talented author such as this should always have new ideas and not have to revisit old tropes. Even so, the book is captivating and earns its place in the series with dignity.
Tessa's "real dad" is back - in fact, he is involved in one of the most intense scenes in the entire series (but I can't tell you how). We learn some more about him - some good, some bad. Also, both of Patrick Bowers' almost-girlfriends are back... and the awkward moments are priceless (actually, he TRIES to choose between the two). Bowers is the intended victim again (meaning the killers are using all the murders as bait to lure him). And, of course, the crime comes to a climactic end with Bowers squaring off against one of the killers. Since the release of "The Queen," I'm sure you know who wins.

Not much more to say, but it was a good book. I just realized that in my review of "The Rook" that I stated I liked "The Rook" better than "The Pawn" - and then in my review of "The Knight" I said that I "still like 'The Pawn' best".......  Oh well.  To be clear, I think "The Pawn" was my favorite.

I would still give it a 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment