Friday, February 11, 2011

"Brothers, We are not Professionals" by John Piper

I'm very glad John Piper wrote this book. This is probably one of those ministry-related works that I will re-read often. The author tackled some issues that desperately needed a strong defense from a conservative theological standpoint.
The best way to describe the book is that it is a collection of roughly thirty short articles, each focusing on a different area. The title of each chapter is addressed to fellowservants in the ministry, like the very title of the book.
The topics covered are very broad - everything from baptism to abortion. Piper is a skillful wordsmith, and his arguments are very sound both Biblically and logically. One of my favorite chapters was "Brothers, Sever the Root of Racism." This is a passionate issue for me, and I believe that his chapter should be read from every pulpit - including my own church - at least once a year. Racism is killing our churches and reflecting poorly on the body of Christ and Christian unity.
Another great chapter was on loving our wives. So many pastors and ministers have wives who seem to sit in the shadows of the man's "ministry." Pastors, of all people, should have Christ-honoring relationships with their wives... My former and current pastors both stressed to me the importance of ministering to my wife before ministering to others, and I have tried hard to do so.
But perhaps the greatest chapter - and most convicting - was the chapter on God's glory... How could I have missed the fact that the thing God loves most of all is not people, but His own glory? This was an earth-shattering lesson for me to learn, and I was greatly convicted.
If you are a pastor or minister, you would be greatly blessed, encouraged, and challenged by this great book. It is (so far) the only book by John Piper I have read, but it will not be the last. Highly HIGHLY recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment