Sunday, February 27, 2011

"Breakthrough Prayer" by Jim Cymbala

I did not find this book to be exactly what I had expected. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy it; I did enjoy it thorougly. The content just did not match my expectations.
I devoured Jim Cymbala's books, "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire", "Fresh Faith", and "Fresh Power". Those books are far superior to this one. This book caused me to trudge through a little bit.
Pastor Cymbala's theology is right on the money, but I felt that some of the points he made were weaker than they could have been. Some points were tremendously strong - even overpowering. That's good; it's the kind of theology we need from books and preaching these days. (Sometimes, it takes a smack upside my head to get the point across to me)
Basically, I felt that it was not a book exclusively on prayer. He had whole chapters devoted to other things, like joy. Had it been more focused, it would have made a greater impact on me.
I will say that the stories of the people Pastor Cymbala has met in his ministry is worth the price of the book. My heart is ALWAYS stirred to hear about God changing someone's life when all things seemed hopeless.
I would still give the book 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment