Friday, September 19, 2014

"Fearless" by Eric Blehm

I have been aware of the story of Adam Brown for a few years, even since before the book was released, but I did not know what I was in for when I began reading this book. Stories of true American heroes are especially meaningful to me - and you probably won't find a more inspiring story than that of Adam Brown.

To begin with, it is important to know that one of Adam's last wishes was that his story be told - the whole thing, from the ugliest parts to the best parts. Once you read the book, you'll see just how much courage it took for him to be willing to share his testimony of his life with us. There were days of drug addiction, deception, and theft. But he overcame that - and also would give his life to Christ in the process. The change in him was a process that took time - there was no instant "sanctification." That should give any reader - no matter how many times they've battled the demons of addiction or other sins - hope that it is possible to overcome in Christ.

You cannot read this book without being impressed at the toughness of Adam Brown. The dude was insanely tough. He had a fearlessness (note the book title) that was no doubt a contributing factor in his journey to become one of the most elite special warfare operators in the US military. Just to give you an idea: he loses his dominant eye AND has his fingers on his dominant hand severed and re-attached.... BEFORE he qualifies for SEAL Team SIX (which is the top tier of the already-insanely-elite Navy SEAL teams). If you've never shot a gun, you'll have no concept of how ridiculous it is to try to shoot with your right hand using your left eye. In a qualification course in which hundreds try and few succeed, Adam did it with one eye and a partially-usable hand.

The fact of Adam's Christian faith was emphasized well in the book. It seems like Adam was an outspoken believer, a faithful church attender, and a man of great trust in the Lord. He was also a loving father and husband, and in his childhood years he was a respectful and honest boy. Stories like these remind me that there are good men out there - and praise the Lord. We need more men like that. Our military needs more men like that.

There was a good deal of profanity in the book, which did surprise me (being that it is mixed in with all of the religious elements), and at least a couple of crude stories (locker-room-type humor). But, the story is gripping. I came to tears at the end, leading up to the day that Adam makes the ultimate sacrifice.

What else can I say? I loved the book, and I respect the man greatly. He was far from perfect - but his story is so real, yet so unreal. I'll never know what it is like to be a SEAL (or even a soldier) - but if I were, I would want to be fearless like Adam Brown.

You can find more information about the book and Eric Blehm, the author, at www.fearlessnavyseal.com. Also, you can check out www.adamslegacy.com.
(Please note: I do not necessarily endorse everything on these linked pages, nor can I guarantee that these links will always go to the intended sites. If a link is broken, or redirects to a different page, please leave a comment and I will remove the link. Thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment