Sunday, August 19, 2012

"Worship Matters" by Bob Kauflin

When my friend Joe K. loaned me this book last year, I have to admit that the biggest draw for me was the fact that Bob Kauflin has some connection to the Christian vocal group GLAD. I love GLAD's a cappella music. So, I was really interested to hear what this man would say in his book written (mainly) to worship leaders.

There were a few apprehensions and assumptions that I had going into the book. First, I assumed that it would be light on Biblical doctrine and theology. And Second, I assumed it would be heavy on music. Both of these assumptions were wrong. I've read many "Christian living"-type books that had far fewer Bible references or doctrines than this book. Early on in the book, Kauflin sets a very solid foundation for Biblical worship. It is surprising how much the Bible says about worship - much of which we never hear or read.

The theology in the book was a welcome surprise. After all (and I hate to say this), the big churches always seem to have a worship leader who appears to excel in two areas: big stage productions, and fashion. They can put on a great show on stage, and they can create their own "look" - but we don't automatically think: worship leader = theologian. Even sadder than this trend in the big churches is the number of smaller churches that feel like they have to emulate this formula. From the selection of songs right down to the "look" of the worship leader, small churches have bought into the worship leader movement.

I disagreed with the author doctrinally on only one point that I can remember. He believes the "sign gifts" of the Book of Acts (tongues, healing, etc) are still available to believers, while I believe they passed away with the completion of the canon of Scripture. However, he deals with this subject very tactfully, and admits that many readers of this book will not feel the same way. Also, he does not say "If someone starts speaking in tongues, you know the worship service is going great!" In fact, he seems to avoid the subject altogether, other than to acknowledge that a controversy exists.

The second good surprise is that the book was not really about music. It was about worship. Music came up quite a bit, of course - but the author (rightfully) separated the two. He deals quite a bit with the heart and motives of the worshipper and the worship leader. The last portion of the book examines how a church can stay "up-to-date" with technology and music styles, while not forsaking the traditions of the church and the great hymns of the faith. He encourages the worship leader to be very deliberate and picky about the music and songs used. He also encourages the worship leader to follow the vision of the pastor - not his own idea of what the music department should be.

In all, this book is a great reference for both pastors and worship leaders. I know I have greatly benefited from it - and I am planning on buying a copy for my worship leader (if he doesn't already have it). Excellent book.

UPDATE: By the way, I didn't keep Joe's book for a whole year... I gave it back to him and bought my own copy so I could finish reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment