Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"The Knight" by Steven James

Okay, at this point I think it's safe to say that Steven James hasn't learned how to write a bad book. "The Knight" picks up nicely right where "The Rook" left off. In this book, Patrick Bowers deals with some new problems - family problems. He also is faced with evidence that seems to indicate someone very dear to him is the killer he's after.
There were a few minor criticisms. The identity of the killer was unexpected - but at the same time it was very similar to a previous Patrick Bowers story (I won't tell you which one). Also, again dealing with serial killers, there are some scenes in which violence is described. But it comes with the subject matter.
I love the references to Poe and other works of literature, as well as the "side-issues" that enter the books - usually in dialogue between Patrick and his step-daughter. In fact, the character of Tessa becomes even MORE complex in this book (if possible), but she is a fascinating person to read.
I still believe "The Pawn" is my favorite so far, but this story easily holds its own in the series.
I'd give it a solid 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment