Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Hood" by Stephen Lawhead

"Hood" is the first book in a trilogy by Stephen Lawhead. This book was so much fun to read! I've always enjoyed the story of Robin Hood (not just the cartoon, although I liked that as well). This is the first Stephen Lawhead book I ever read - and I immediately finished purchasing this trilogy as well as the Song of Albion trilogy. The author does a masterful job of providing us details of the life and culture (as well as the political machinations) of the time period. However, even though he provides a helpful pronunciation guide in the front, I still had to make up my own way of pronouncing the names of places and people! I guess I should work on my linguistic skills... How would YOU pronounce Coed Cadw?
This book tells the story of Bran, who (predictably) becomes the persona we know as Robin Hood. The way that Bran becomes Robin Hood is a fantastically weaved tale. This is one book that is sure to set your imagination on fire!
There is plenty of romance, action, humor, and drama in this story - and the book has an easy flowing pace. The author does use some outdated vocabulary that a few readers may find offensive, but all of the words can be found in the KJV Bible.
I loved reading this book! Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment